Direkt zum Hauptbereich

PostgreSQL

I like to go with the newest trends since I am not really held back by any production site. So I had a look around and decided to install a new database system.

The first thing you might want to consider is the growing hype of NoSQL db's like mongodb, couchdb etc.

But after reading this I changed my mind:

you-got-nosql-in-my-postgres-using-hstore-in-rails

Having done this several times before with no gain of a working db server I looked around for a decent tutorial providing me with just the right steps:

install-postgresql-on-fedora-centos-red-hat-rhel

There I even had the howto for my CentOS-Server after deploying with postgresql.

MySQL is in the minds of people, and it deserved a spot in the light for its availability and easyness, but with the NoSQL-movement and the availability of postgresql on the web it might be good to have had a look.

And since I dont really come in contact with the db but just with the ORM there is no harm done ;)


PS: there is even a nice railscast for postgresql
342-migrating-to-postgresql

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Virtuelles Wasser?!

In den letzten Tagen habe ich immer mal wieder etwas mit Rails programmiert und werde mich ebenso heute dem neuen Auftrag "multiple file upload" kümmern. Und weil vieles "Versuch-Irrtum" ist, gucke ich auf dem zweiten Monitor immer Reportagen. Letztens kam mir "Der große Haushaltscheck" unter die Finger: ARD Mediathek "Der große Haushaltscheck" In der Sendung vom 11.3.2013 ging es um unser Trinkwasser. Jedem sollte klar sein, dass Plastikflaschen nicht die erste Wahl sind, weil man nicht darauf vertrauen kann, dass der Hersteller wirklich "gutes" Plastik nahm (BPA, Phtalate, Benzol, Xylol usw.), aber das interessante waren die genannten Zahlen in puncto virtuellem Wasser bzw. Wassersparen. Wasser sparen an und für sich ist ja gut, nur heisst das nicht, dass wir weniger die Klospühlung benutzen sollten, sondern dass wir uns Gedanken machen über das "virtuelle Wasser". Unsere Kanalisation ist eine Schwemm-Kanalisatio...

debian 6 vserver - a new installation due to centOS update problem - my steps

My centOS vserver broke down after a "yum update" and even the centOS community forum could not give an answer within 24h. In my books that is poor for the almighty and stable centOS. Bare in mind that I am just a normal user of linux, no professional and definitely no expert when it comes to server, but I can read, try and share my findings: debian 6 installation steps via ssh secure your server: adduser foobar for security purposes  change /etc/sshd/sshd_conf to PermitRootLogin no now you can login as foobar and change to root via su - visudo for sudo command permissions and put this at the bottom: foobar   ALL=(ALL) ALL change hostname change hostname in /etc/hostname and in /etc/hosts reboot login via rsa key rather than password locally do ssh-keygen ssh-copy-id -i foobar@hostname... ssh now works without passwords but with keys (for easy deployment) install ruby and rails via rvm login as root always good to have: sudo apt-get install...

Garten Juli-Update

Die Tomaten wachsen so langsam stetig, aber auch erst seit ein paar Wochen. Und da ich leider nicht rechtzeitig ausgegeizt hatte, ist einiges an Potential "verwachsen": Die Chilis wachsen auch ganz nett, wobei nur wenige Früchte zu sehen sind: Und gerade die Rocoto-Chili enttäuschen sehr: Aber einen Lichtblick habe ich: die Pimientos waren lecker und hier ist das "Rote Teufele":