Direkt zum Hauptbereich

the rolling release adventure: manjaro, sabayon und back to fedora

First of all, once a while I enjoy digging deep into a linux version. So I decided to use the free time before my wedding to burry my head in linux and the command line.

Recently I found a site about the best distros 2013 so far and read about the upcoming rolling releases of manjaro and sabayon.

A rolling release is something nice and after being stuck with kdenlive in an old version with no functional support for slow motion I considered it to be something nice always ahead with updates.

Well, both manjaro and sabayon worked fine as a live cd,
but installed they turned into hell.

AND THE WINNER IS: fucking ATI!

I will never buy a laptop with ATI again - it just sucks.

Manjaro is very young and talked about as a light arch linux,
but it was everything but light, and the wiki or help pages were very thin,
same goes for community support: read the wiki.... do more reading.. blablabla.

Sabayon is a gentle approach of bringing gentoo to the masses,
and it was nice to try it, seems very powerful, but after installation my graphic support failed and following the wiki and help pages just gave me 5 times a frozen system - so I left it as well.

As a third I burned a openSUSE to dvd, because their repo tumbleweed is planned to be "rolling", but users were not that convinced about actually valid version in that repo. In the end I left it alone and turned to ferdora again.

For I am running a CentOS server and have been worked with red hat stuff for years the system strikes me as one of the most solid ones availiable.
And with that said I dont think about system stability per se,
but about drivers, community base, options and inner system failsafe.

Fedora 19 was installing fine, although it is perfectly true what they say about the installer - its crap! But I knew what to do and got it done.

The first boot went fine and after re-adjusting my home folders its just the firefox bookmarks I lost but thats fine.

After about almost 10 system installations I am back to "yum",
and the radeon driver, although its working now.

And for catalyst.... I will wait for the 13.6 going to quit beta state and full support of the new xorg-server 1.14.

Dont get me wrong, the systems above may be wonderful,
but right now fedora makes me happy.

And going back to windows? NO WAY!!!

Kommentare

  1. I am back to manjaro though due to some problems with font rendering on latest fedora.

    Tried manjaro 0.8.7 pre and it still works like a charm, look for the manjaro post.

    AntwortenLöschen

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Virtuelles Wasser?!

In den letzten Tagen habe ich immer mal wieder etwas mit Rails programmiert und werde mich ebenso heute dem neuen Auftrag "multiple file upload" kümmern. Und weil vieles "Versuch-Irrtum" ist, gucke ich auf dem zweiten Monitor immer Reportagen. Letztens kam mir "Der große Haushaltscheck" unter die Finger: ARD Mediathek "Der große Haushaltscheck" In der Sendung vom 11.3.2013 ging es um unser Trinkwasser. Jedem sollte klar sein, dass Plastikflaschen nicht die erste Wahl sind, weil man nicht darauf vertrauen kann, dass der Hersteller wirklich "gutes" Plastik nahm (BPA, Phtalate, Benzol, Xylol usw.), aber das interessante waren die genannten Zahlen in puncto virtuellem Wasser bzw. Wassersparen. Wasser sparen an und für sich ist ja gut, nur heisst das nicht, dass wir weniger die Klospühlung benutzen sollten, sondern dass wir uns Gedanken machen über das "virtuelle Wasser". Unsere Kanalisation ist eine Schwemm-Kanalisatio...

Garten Juli-Update

Die Tomaten wachsen so langsam stetig, aber auch erst seit ein paar Wochen. Und da ich leider nicht rechtzeitig ausgegeizt hatte, ist einiges an Potential "verwachsen": Die Chilis wachsen auch ganz nett, wobei nur wenige Früchte zu sehen sind: Und gerade die Rocoto-Chili enttäuschen sehr: Aber einen Lichtblick habe ich: die Pimientos waren lecker und hier ist das "Rote Teufele":